Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Prank Call

Last night I was receiving disturbing calls on my cell phone. They weren’t pervert calls…it was just an eerie voice saying she was Shanay-Nay…but then at one point the name “James” was also put out there (which will come in handy in my super sleuth defectiveness later in the story). I couldn’t tell if the person was older or younger, boy or girl.

At first I was like whatever, would ask who it is etc. but then eventually hang up. BUT then they asked how my little Hagen is doing? EXCUSE ME?! I freaked…then they asked if Dapper is driving me nuts and how is Ryan doing…all in this eerie voice. Ryan was bathing Hagen and I went in and told him what is going on. He answered the next time and was so nice and polite. He told them to hang on because he is going to conference in the McKinney Police. They hung up…called right back…hung up.

I called my mom to tell her if my family ended up all cut up into pieces for the police to check my call log because I was getting prank calls that were freaking me the hell out! While I was talking with her I got another call from the prankster and conferenced them in with Mom. I said, “McKinney Police, can I help you?” They said, “Oh, I’m sorry I’m trying to reach my friend” and hung up.

THEN…they called from a different number…but they messed with the wrong person. You see, when I get a call from anyone I register their name in my phone. I’ve done this for years…I get a lot of sales calls and random calls from people looking for work. I put them in there and usually do not answer my phone unless a name pops up.

When the perp called from the different number if popped up as “Jim Myers”…our old neighbor a couple of years ago with the sweetest 2 kids you ever met. I answered, “Hello?” and the same prankster asked for me. I said, “James, get your Mom Sh*&%* and your Dad Jim on the phone right now…”…they hung up and didn’t call again.

I started shaking and crying and grabbed my keys and told Ryan I would be right back. Ryan hugged me and told me to sit down for a minute…I did and told him how freaked out I was and I wanted to march over there and tell his parents. I soon calmed down and was very thankful that Ryan didn’t let me go. I can just imagine what a freak I would look like crying and going up to their door saying, “Your son prank called me and I’m not happy about it!” May make them even more excited that we moved, Ha!

It was an innocent prank…we’ve all prank called someone...but this one got me. For all I knew someone was planning the Darney Murder…when they said Hagen’s name I flipped! Visions of Private Practice when Violet had her baby cut out of her was running through my mind…Ryan would NEVER be able to go out of town again…in fact he would have to take on part-time hours like me so we could spend every second together!

Funny now…last night, not so much. Good thing he is a sweet boy!

Tata,
Carrie

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh nooo!! Remember when Darin once pranked you pretending to be a certain friends' boyfriend. I learned my lesson that day and will never prank Miss Carrie again. I would have TOTALLY freaked out, too. When your child becomes involved, all bets are off!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Mer, I totally forgot about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would've totally freaked out too. The whole public blog being out there makes me nervous sometimes.
    Glad it was nothing serious!! Shew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friends and I used to prank call (before caller ID and cell phones...shit I sound old) random numbers when my mom wasn't home. One time we were pranking and the phone rang. I answered and the woman asked for my mom. I said she wasn't there. She said, "Listen, young lady! I have a sleeping baby here and you just f*cking woke her up! Stop prank calling!!! It's rude!"
    I never pranked again. She scared the shit out of me. But I was actually just glad my mom wasn't there for her to tattle on me.
    Cuss at prank callers next time- really freaks kids out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember how much we prank called back in the day? That was before caller id. Those kids were ballsy.

    If they would of mentioned my kids names though....I would of flipped the eff out as well. Poor pregnant Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have flipped too. I immediately thought of your blog when I was reading the story. Having a public blog freaks me out sometimes.

    I just got a call tonight that someone was prank calling from my house... I flipped out at my kids. I mean, what idiot prank calls with caller id!?!

    ReplyDelete