Someone brought in French Fries to the office…it smells so good…so good I may just have to go punch them in the ear…gah! I don’t think I have smelled ONE French fry since I have been here for 3 years…why now? Why when I have a cup of raw carrots to gag down…by the way, 1 cup of raw carrots is hard! It is much easier to down a big can of V8…
So I have a dilemma that I need help with. But first a cute story of Hagen James…
The other night was not one of his shining moments. He was being naughty so he actually went to bed with no book, no story, and NO song…it was really bad. It makes for a sad night for Ryan and I and of course Hagen. But the next morning he gets it and says first thing that he is going to be a good listener so he can get a book.
On the way to school he was reading me a book in the back but said he didn’t know the words. I told him that maybe when he learns to read he can read a night night story to Hazel. He said, “Unless I’m mad at her and then she won’t get a book.”
Nice…I felt like a big winner. I explained to him that I was not mad at him but upset for how he was behaving and we cannot do that before bed.
Ok, so now onto my dilemma…
Hagen has become a scardy cat…I’m talking it is the middle of the day and won’t go into the kitchen from our living room (which is wide open) to get a drink by himself scared. (by the way, I keep a cup of water on the kitchen table so that he can have a drink whenever he wants)
We have recently put a stool under the light switch in the bathroom so that he can turn on the light by himself to go potty. BUT he is scared of the hallway. SO, we put a hallway nightlight thing that has a flashlight that sits on it that he can grab…nope, not good enough.
We are talking shakes like a leaf scared ladies. What do I do?
Another part of this scared stuff is waking up in the middle of the night from bad dreams…mostly involving scary doggies…isn’t that sad… AND I remember when that started. I am an idiot and showed him a sonogram of Hazel when she looked like “a little puppy”…well my friends…there you have it.
I know someone out there has dealt with night terrors with their little ones or being scared to leave the room etc….what do I do?
Stupid carrots are staring at me…I’m going to have nightmares about stupid dumb boring carrots…
Carrie
Friday, August 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think the majority of kids go through this at some point. I doubt it will last long. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteI remember being like that too! I would run like hell in the middle of the night to get into my parents bedroom so my Mom could help me go to the bathroom.
ReplyDeleteNot sure how I got out of it but I know it lasted for a good while :-(
It's real stuff too!
Jack (shocker) had night terrors. It was all a phase. Lainey now gets scared to go upstairs to potty by herself.
ReplyDeleteIt all passes. No permanent damage done. He'll be OK. After your first, things like this won't worry you so much. Carter went through every freaking phase possible.....eye twitches, weird scratching tendencies, constantly rubbing his eyes, watching Wapner, you get the idea.
Skip the carrots, treat yourself to some fries b/c you can't have a beer. He'll be OK. You, too!
You're a good mom to ask, though. No one had kids when Carter was little. We just crossed our fingers!
ps - Blake is sitting her with me and said, "Tell her I love her. Like REALLY love her."
Awkward.
Sweet boy! It will pass... T did the same thing for a very long time and even to this day will not come into our bedroom at night without closing the bathroom doors?! Just one of those things, I guess.
ReplyDeleteAnd french fries... probably will be one of the hardest things I have to give up!
We haven't dealt with nightmares....yet, but Tessie Mayes has to have lights on in every room en route to the potty at night. Those little night light things don't cut it either.
ReplyDeleteSucks that you can't chow down. But V8 is really very tasty. Right?
My girls still sleep with a night light on. And, I have to admit, I get a little freaked when it's super dark.
ReplyDeleteAll just a phase. Just like the "Only word they know is No" phase and the "Hitting" phase. I hope it passes soon! For your sake and his. Poor sweet Hagen!
Sorry about the fries. That has to be hard! Good for you for sticking with it!
Like everyone has said, it will pass. Carter likes to have his bathroom doors closed at night, and When Trysten is here, he still wants the closet doors, bathroom doors, and lights on in the room when he sleeps. We don't keep the lights on in the room, but we do turn the bathroom light on for him until he falls asleep. Some kids are just more weary than others, and it all passes in time. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteSorry about the french fries. That sucks.
Ellery has done the same thing. We bought her a flashlight to carry and this seems to help a bit. We also have a nightlight, and now have to keep on her closet light. Sweet Hagan.
ReplyDeleteNow I want some french fries.
I'm cracking up over what Hagen said about Hazel's book. It's probably not funny to you...
ReplyDeleteSophia's scared shitless of the kitchen when it's dark. She's almost 9. It happened like this:
soph- Can you turn on the light in here?
sass- I'm in the other room, it's the switch next to the sink kind of.
(LOUDEST NOISE EVER followed by Soph screaming)
She hit the garbage disposal. This was 2 years ago. MY BAD.
She's not as freaked now, but she tends to be a scaredy cat most of the time. Sleeping issues (she stays wide awake in bed until midnight sometimes and freaks out that we'll go to bed before she falls asleep), anxiety about random things, non confrontational, etc. Tony's thing is to just act like nothing's a big deal. Don't comfort (because that makes it seem like a legit fear, that there's something to be scared of) and talk about things matter-of-factly. It's seemed to help a little, but I think Casey's right.
They'll grow out of it!