Get a 5th of whatever and relax...there is lots to discuss.
Work has been busy but SO good! Being a technical recruiter is definitely an up and down job. You will be slow one week and then crazy busy the next! I am so lucky working with the group that I work with…people are what makes your job great, not necessarily the job itself.
I was reading through some blogs that teachers write. Discipline has been a big topic lately and I want to discuss this a bit. Ryan and I are on the teachers side...no matter what. I will not have a child that disrespects athority...that is how I was raised and it is the RIGHT way. Hagen is pretty good for the most part. He listens in class and we rarely have issues. BUT I make sure to let his teachers know that we want to know anything that has been a problem and we will work on it at home as well. Hagen is not a napper…he is that kid in class that wakes up all his friends. Not yelling or anything but just talking, singing, rolling around, etc. I found out that his nap mat was way in the corner far away from the other kids. No one had said anything until one day he had a bad report saying that he did not sleep well and he was disruptive. Uh oh…that is when I found out that he hasn’t been very quiet at naps. SO, we started the sticker chart! If he got a good report for being quiet and resting (Napping is now a bad word) then he got a sticker…5 stickers in a week and we do something special! It worked and now he is quiet on his mat.
He recently moved up to the 3 year old class. There is a kid whose Mom has forced the school to move her kid up with Hagen even though he is 3 months younger and isn’t potty trained. She is “That” mom. AND she works for the school system. She called me the other night. This past week was the first full week in the new class. She was pissed because her son was put in “Chill Out”. She called, then texted, then called me again. I called her back thinking something was terribly wrong and this is the conversation:
Psycho Mom: “What is Chill out?”
Me: “basically time out”
PM: “why don’t I know about this?”
Me: “because I was talking about Hagen’s attitude problem and told them to let me know if he is talking back and to let me know if he is doing it at school so I can address it at home. They told me they do “chill out” which is like time out.”
PM: “well, they put my child in chill out and he was not able to color his “H” (it was the letter of the week) and when I asked him why his wasn’t colored he said he had to sit in chill out because he was crying.”
Me: “well, and what’s the problem?”
She has done these phone calls numerous times. She knows she is neurotic…this time I confirmed to her that she needs to go to “chill out”. She started laughing and I said, “No, I’m serous…you need to trust them”. I told her that if she is that mad about Chill Out that she has a lot more coming when he grows up because right now they are still “babies” and the teachers love on them and cut them a lot more slack then when they go to real school. She agreed and has not even looked me in the eye since then. By the way, this is the same girl that called 2 hours before our New Year get together was going to start to say that they will in fact swing by…I told her that we canceled it. Some people…ugh…
Hagen got to take cupcakes to school for his birthday and insisted on wearing a cone “Happy Birthday” hat. It was tilted to the side so he was looking a lot like Jack from Jack in the Box. He was SO proud! He told me in the car on the way to school that today was going to be a good day! Yes, it will be!
BUT, it didn’t start off too well. He was eating breakfast and I was drying my fuzzy hair. I turned off the dryer and heard him SCREAMING bloody murder! I just knew he fell out of his chair and broke something. I ran in there, his face was purple, crocodile tears streaming down his cheeks…AND…there was a fly on his hair. Yes, that was the problem. My manly man of a son is TERRIFIED of flies! He was petting a spider (thanks Ryan) last night but flies? Watch out! He was done eating. Thanks effing fly….someone has a weigh in on Tuesday (3 year well visit) and you freaked him out so much he doesn’t want breakfast…that was at LEAST a couple of ounces. I’m going to hunt you when I get home…smoosh you and put your remains in this hot Texas heat so you burn.
Tata,
Carrie
P.S. Hagen is growing up right before my eyes. Now that he has graduated to the 3 room, he hugs me at the door, kisses me, and walks right in and joins his friends for circle time. No whining, no crying…It’s almost like…HE DOESN’T NEED ME ANYMORE!! WHAAAAAA BOOO HOOO!!! But, it is nice having drop off take only a minute. I just wish he would hug me a little tighter or longer and look me in the eyes while holding my cheeks and say, “I miss you already Mama…you are the best and I can’t wait to see your skinny beautiful self come and get me after work…now go eat a donut…you are WAY too skinny!”
Love your P.S.! Ha!
ReplyDeleteSo nice to hear a parent support a teacher.
Way to stand behind the teacher, Carrie! And good job telling psycho mom the truth. Hagan will ALWAYS need you, my friend.....he is just testing his wings a little bit. Next week could be an entirely different story. Dane starts pre-school in the fall and I am PRAYING that he will just walk right in and say good-bye. It means they feel secure--good job, Carrie.
ReplyDeleteLove the support you give the teachers. I plan to be the exact same way. And, Hagen growing up and not "needing" you only means that you've done your job well! You're such a good Mom.
ReplyDeleteHaha!! Love that last comment...I know he'll say it one day. :) That is crazy about psycho mom...what a handful and a hard position for you to be in. As a former teacher, I think it's awesome that you support them so strongly. I definitely agree the communication to the parents is key though.
ReplyDelete