When Ryan and I got married my Mom and Ryan's Mom took the opportunity to give us all the dust covered crap that they saved for us. "Mom, thank you so much for saving my mum from homecoming! I may just have to decorate my house with it!"
OK, so my Mom was actually very good at what she decided to save and what to toss and for the most part what she saved she kept in my old room in my closet which was very neatly organized.
Now Ryan's Mom? Not so much. Thank you so SOO so much for the old Trophies! Man, those are great! Especially the boy scout one...my favorite. OH, and not to outdo the trophies, but he HUGE albums with he sticky paper that has every.single.newspaper article that even mentioned Ryan's name that are overflowing, half sticking, and very yellow?! How can I EVER repay you for such a thoughtful gift? My heart over floweth...
I recently cleaned out the attic (yes, while I had strep and sinus infection...remember the steroid post) and came across all of the boxes from my MIL. I took the albums and gave them to Ryan with a beer and said, "Narrow it down or I am out..." OK, so not so bitchy...VERY close though. Hagen and I left him alone to fill his ego. I came back a bit later and would you believe that he narrowed it down to just over 10 articles! I was SO impressed. and the trophies? 1.ONE.UNO trophies!!
I saw in a design blog a cute way to display some important balls. no no ladies...not testicles, but baseballs! You see, my Ryan was VERY athletic and very good at Baseball and Football. He had about 6 baseballs that were important to him. I didn't want them in the little plastic thing that was meant to display them so I put them in an apothecary type jar that was clear. It sits on the bookshelf right next to his trophy and his first batting glove which is ADORABLE! I am so impressed with it!!
The one thing that my Mom did give me when I got married was all of my ornaments. My Mom use to buy me and my brothers an ornament every year...usually depicting what our interest was for the year. One of my favorites was a salt dough one of a little girl ice skating. I LOVE salt dough ornaments! So, when Hagen was born (she gave me my perfectly filled out baby book) I wanted to do the same for him. So I go to the same holiday bazaar every year and mainly for the salt dough couple! The first year was a baby's first Christmas thingie, last year was a little boy on a John Deere Tractor, and this year I was going for a Fireman theme. That old couple ditched! They skipped out and didn't show up this year. Crap...where do you find good quality salt dough ornaments? And NO I am not making one...I like the ones that are made for me.
Ryan said there was a holiday bazaar at his office building this morning so I told him that I would GREATLY appreciate him going to look and see if they have them. He sent me an email and said he found an ornament with a fire house and a hat and says "firefighter" on it and Hagen's name...I am so thankful that he went but am scared of what it will look like. I will keep it and use it as a good story even if it isn't cute...just telling Hagen that his daddy went to a bazaar to buy his ornament will be greatness!
OK, so this went WAY longer than I expected it to!
Ta ta,
Carrie
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Was just getting excited to share my recipe with you.....and that door was slammed. I'll keep it to myself. :)
ReplyDeleteEvery mall seems to have a kiosk, right? I'd try to the mecca of all shopping in your area....Northpark.
LOVE the story about Ryan and his balls! He needs to help my husband out in this department. Darin still has books from undergrad that he thinks he will look at someday--perhaps when pigs fly!!!!
ReplyDeletethere's a kiosk (such a funny word) at stonebriar with ornaments galore. pretty sure you could find one there.
ReplyDeletethe shelf with your hubby's stuff sounds cute!
I should totally take your advice.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to hand Tony a beer and lock him in the basement.
Thanks!!
Carrie...answer to your question on my blog!
ReplyDeleteWe did our family pics at The Adriatica in McKinney off Virginia Parkway. There are so many great spots there! Hope that helps!
By the way, we live at Eldorado and Alma!