Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Happy Sweet 16 Ashlyn!


Ashlyn is my niece...Ryan's sister's little girl. Today she turned 16. Where has the time gone? This is a picture of Ryan and I with her at the Blink 182 concert last fall...isn't she cute!


I still remember "meeting" Ashlyn for the first time. When Ryan and I first started dating he was at Southwest Texas. When he would come home he would stay at his Mom's house. The first time I went to his Mom's house he immediately took me over to see some pictures on the wall. There were 8 of the cutest little girl ever. It was Ashlyn and she was probably 3 in the photos. I was smitten from that point on.


Ashlyn is a good girl...makes good decisions...has good friends...IS a good friend and I am so happy with the relationship that we have. I have to watch myself because she is still young, but I am trying to be the cool Aunt.


Ryan and I tell her that nothing is too scary to call us for. If she is ever in trouble she can call us to help her and it will be between us, but she has to trust us. I don't think I will ever receive a call from her because she is mature and makes good choices.


She took me for a spin in her car tonight...I was so proud. She is a good driver! She got her license and you know she didn't even have to take a driving test? What are these people thinking not making a kid take a drivers test! If you have 7 driving times during your driver's ed then you don't have to pass a driving test. I don't get it.


Time is going by so fast. Before I know it she will be off to college! I just want to snuggle her forever.


Love,

Aunt Carrie
P.S. Hagen was Mr. Sensitive tonight getting his feelings hurt all over the place! What a drama queen! Aunt Kristen helped by giving him a shark puppet and he is now in his bed sleeping with "Bruce" the shark.

6 comments:

  1. Awe, Happy Sweet 16! Sounds like a very good girl, and a great Aunt... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. no driving test? That must be a Texas thing because they make kids take tests here in NC! They have that modified driving too where they can't drive after 9pm until 6months of driving. And.. they can't have more than one friend and sibling in the car with them for the first year!
    They say it has cut down on teen accidents tremendously!
    Happy Bday Ashlyn! 16 is a good age :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Ashlyn!

    I have a 17 year old niece and I try to be the "cool aunt" too, but I have to keep reminding myself that she's still a teenager!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same thing with driving here. If you pass driver's ed and have so many hours logged, you don't have to take it. I did that too, super easy. Probably not safe. Ha!
    What a sweet niece you have, Carrie! She sounds like such a good girl! Not many of those these days ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a great Aunt.....and you know what Aunts and Uncles mean to me! I'm glad you have this sweet niece to adore. She's precious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe she is 16! I remember her at your wedding. . . she seemed so little. She is lucky to have you and Ryan as her family!

    ReplyDelete