Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My Grandpa Fulton

Tonight Hagen and I went to my Mom's house. Ryan and my Dad were traveling so we thought we would make some Tuna Casserole (total comfort food) and just veg.

It obviously happened for a reason as we never really do things like this.

I was making dinner and ran out to my car real quick and came back and Mom was sitting on the chair and said, "He's gone...".

My Grandpa has been in poor health for awhile now. He has gotten to the point that his skin is so thin that it can not even uphold the stitches to keep a feeding tube in. It came out for the final time on Monday. We thought we had around 10 days (remembering how much time we had with other loved ones that have passed). He was so weak that it was only 2...

I remember so many great things about my Grandpa. He was a Man's Man...hard working...not afraid to get dirty... When my Grandma passed away about 6 years ago I think a piece of my Grandpa died with her. He just was never the same. Within the past couple of years it was almost like he was trying to die...I like to think it is because he was dying of a broken heart and he just couldn't wait to be reunited with his love.

Mom and I told old stories about Grandpa, cried, discussed some important things, etc. all over a couple of glasses of wine. I miss the old Grandpa that I remember...I miss him alot. He was not the same person and I am happy that he is with Grandma. It is so much harder for those left behind.

Here's to you Grandpa...love you so much!
Carrie

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for you loss! I think we all felt the same way after our grandmother passed, my grandfather followed her very quickly (like 18 months later).

    You and your family are in our prayers!

    He is healthy and with his love again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandfather died about 5 years after my grandmother......very much like yours. He just didn't have the life in him after she was gone.

    I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Carrie. I'll be thinking about you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for you loss. Hang in there and remember all the awesome memories you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so, so sorry, Carrie. Wish I was there to give you and your sweet mama a big hug! I totally remember your grandpa as a Man's man.....working in his garage that seemed to be filled with every type of tool in the world. He was a big teddy bear. I will be thinking of you and your family. xxooo Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry, Carrie. I think that's the sweetest thing in the world, when two lovebirds die around the same time. Gives me hope.
    Hang in there--thinking about you and your fam.

    ReplyDelete