Sunday, November 15, 2009

A little concerned

When I was pregnant I was diabetic (gestational diabetes)...it was mainly just a diet to keep me on track from not becoming a blimp!

I never had any issues with low blood sugar except for one time. It was the day I was going into the hospital to be induced. Mom and I were so anxious so we went shopping! We were taking separate cars so that I could just go straight home afterwards to gather my stuff and meet Ryan.

While we were on our way to the mall I called her and told her that my eyes just weren't right...seeing speckles or something...a peripheral blinking kinda. She told me to pull over and she came and got me. I was determined to get the Oriental Chicken salad at Cheesecake factory so we moved along. We shopped a bit and then went to eat. By the time I sat down and we were discussing a guy that I grew up with (Michael Haydel). His wedding was coming up. I knew I SHOULD have known who that was, but I just couldn't remember. My mom was saying, "you know, Michael Haydel?! Sally and Chris' brother? Carrie, are you OK?" She immediately asked for OJ and I sucked it down and was better. It was weird. I just completely forgot who he was.

The next time it happened Hagen was about 4 months old and playing with a little musical maraca thing. Ryan told me to look because Hagen was really playing with his maraca well! I looked at him like I knew what was up...I said, "A what?" He immediately got me a butterscotch and was was better after chewing on a couple of those.

Another time Hagen was about a year old and we went to Ashlyn's 1st communion and I starting seeing the specks again...Ryan stopped at the drug store and got me butterscotch and it was gone.

It has been awhile since it has happened...until yesterday...and it was a doozy! We went to lunch with my parents and my brother's family. My Dad started talking to me about work and I could not focus on my words, could not explain myself, could NOT focus. He got up and got me OJ from the bar and I drank 3. My sister in law asked if I had been to Albertson's lately and I had NO idea what she was talking about...what was Albertson's?! That is the store that I go to on a regular basis. It was a longer lasting one. At one point I sadly couldn't think of Hagen's name. I came home and was better but took an hour nap and woke up fine.

I have been to the doctor to get tested for diabetes and I am not diabetic. I think that I just get low blood sugar every so often. But it scares the crap out of me! There is no rhyme or reason for it...I never know when it is going to hit me...it's crazy!

Has anyone else ever dealt with this? I feel like a nutso!

Tata for now,
Carrie

6 comments:

  1. Holy Brainfart! That is CRAZY, Carrie! Who the hell calls those rattles "maracas", anyways? I'd get it checked out--never can be too careful. Maybe go to a neurologist?
    Are you sure this doesn't go hand-in-hand with smokin a couple doobies before family get-togethers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy, I'm sorry you are dealing with that. It sounds scary. Get to the doc and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie Darney! This is concerning. I've always thought you were a little "off", but not like this!!!!! Please do look further into it and keep me up to date. Sounds like a blood sugar issue......just keep something on hand for these little episodes since you can't predict them. Thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh Carrie, you need to make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible. You would hate for something like this to happen and it just be you and Hagen.
    It sounds like something that is quite manageable so just take care of it now.

    Here me? Now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know...isn't it creepy?! There has always been a little bit that is "Off" with me, but this is just weird. I'm calling the doctor to run more tests.

    The crazy thing is that I don't even think to drink OJ or eat candy...It's like I just sit there and wonder what is going on! I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie Ann! You are worrying me--get to the doctor and make sure you tell your colleagues at work about this, so they can keep their eyes open for a possible episode. Also, please make sure you always have some sort of candy in your purse, car, and office! XXOOO

    ReplyDelete