Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

Get a drink and get comfortable!

We never travel for holidays...we have been blessed to have all of our holidays here in Dallas! This year was special. Grandpa is not doing so well so the family wanted to be together so we were off to spend Thanksgiving at The Lake of the Ozarks! Even though Grandpa was in the hospital in Florida, he let us stay at his lake house to visit with family. My Aunt Linda and Uncle Ricky own a lake house right across the cove from Grandpa's.

It was bitter sweet...being at Grandpa's house with him not there...it was strange the first time I was there after Grandma passed...it was weird as well. So many memories...

We left bright and early on Wednesday morning for the 8 hour drive. The last time Hagen was in a car for this long was when he was 2 months old and we were going to introduce him to the family...Grandpa was there.

We stopped at Sonic for my tea and to get burritos. Hagen started whining before we were even out of McKinney. BUT, he made a turn and was great in the car all day. We stopped 4 times, he wore a diaper in case of an emergency, and he pee'd every stop and no accidents! He watched movies, read books, looked at a million cows, and was just great!

When we arrived we went to Tommy's bar...a local joint where my Uncle Rick bar tends. We ate dinner and I got my drink on! Hagen did too drinking Shirley Temples that my uncle was making him at the bar. We played the juke box, ate, drank, and just had a great time!

Thursday was Thanksgiving. We were up bright and early, showered and went to my Aunt and Uncle's house. There were 22 of us! It was AWESOME! Everyone had a seat, there was tons of food, and lots of love.

My cousin Shelley has a little boy that is 6...Eli...he is tough. I was in fear of Hagen seriously getting hurt! Eli was not trying to hurt him (I don't think) but I was terrified of broken bones and black eyes. So, Ryan and I were not able to socialize and mingle like wed for. Ryan and I ventured out to the dock so that Hagen could sit in my uncles fishing boat. he loved it, but it was FREEZING so we could not stay out there for long.

Friday...what a beautiful day! We got up and had a huge breakfast and then all went to the dock for some fishing! My Dad and Ryan took Hagen to the bait store and bought worms and a bobber for Hagen's Car's fishing pole! He caught a fish immediately (thank the lord) and was so excited! After a nap, it was off to the bar again. We go there for dinner so that no one has to cook...plus it is just easier to talk!

We woke up bright and early on Saturday for the drive home. Hagen literally watched movies the whole way home. we stopped 2 times and were beyond ready to get home. On one of our stops we told Hagen he could pick out a snack. He picked the biggest bag of Cheese Puffs I have ever seen! We tried to trade it for a smaller bag, but we were caught and we decided this is a situation where we were not going to argue...pick your battles came to mind.

All in all it was a wonderful trip...as always, we felt like we were not able to talk to everyone as much as we wanted to. I will say this...I feel so bad for people that have to travel for the holidays! It just wasn't the same...just didn't feel right. I am glad we went and I know it meant alot to my Mom to hang out with her siblings when Grandpa isn't doing too well...for that I am so glad we went.

XO,
Carrie

4 comments:

  1. Glad you made it home alive.

    And yes, in the car, you totally have to pick your battles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great trip! I can't wait to visit the Lake of the Ozarks.....I hear it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, such great memories of the lake and your grandparents lake house! Wish I could have been there, too. Call me and give me all the details about your family--Hagan is a TROOPER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute Thanksgiving recap! Sounds like fun.

    I'm with Hagan on the cheese puffs. Big bags only, people.

    ReplyDelete