Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Following through

So Hagen is about to be 3 years old. I can sense that he is testing the water in some situations. I have not been very good about following through on “threats” if you will. I know he KNOWS right from wrong for the most part. So, here is a story of him “pushing it”…

Hagen is not a morning person…I’m not either…I sympathize with him on this. BUT, you know what? Tough…we gotta go to school/work so let’s just get it going!

Yesterday morning I went up to get him and he immediately sat up and said, “No school today?” I knew what was coming…but didn’t expect it to be as bad as it was. I said, “Yes, we do have school and Mama has to go to work”. He FLIPPED the hell out. Screaming crying kicking…the worst EVER!

I picked him up and he was going nuts. I grabbed his clothes off the chair and he was trying to rip them out of my hands. I finally pulled them away and told him that was ENOUGH! I also reminded him that if he continues to behave this way he will not be allowed to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse while eating breakfast. (This has never been done…just threatened…usually works with a threat). Well, not this morning.

I got down to our bathroom where I change him. He was still out of control. Asked him if he wanted to take his PJ’s off or me. He said me so I did and then he freaked out more because HE wanted to do it. THEN I attempted to put him on the potty and he stiffened up like a stick figure and WOULD NOT bend. I finally bent him to sit. He wouldn’t go. Fine…I asked him to put his clothes in the hamper and diaper in the trash…nope…so I did it and he freaked that HE wanted to.

We get breakfast…he doesn’t want anything so I pour him a bowl of Pops (good mother I know) and some milk and put him in his chair. He asks me to turn on Mickey Mouse. Uh, where the hell have you been the past 15 minutes son?! There will be NO Mickey Mouse this morning! I went to finish getting ready and he was howling the WHOLE.TIME. You see, Mickey Mouse is not just for him…it is for me. I can finish getting ready and he eats his breakfast. It is a win win. I was happy to figure this out because when he was in the 1 year old room they fed him breakfast...but not in the 2 year old room...it works for us.

I get ready and come out to eat something quickly and he asks me for a stamp on his hand (I give him one when he REMEMBERS that I give him one for putting away his dirty clothes). I said, uh…no…I put your things away this morning.

I took him to school, told the teachers that he is a total monster and beware, gave him a hug and kiss and left.

When I picked him up he was back to sweet Hagen. Even told me sorry for being ugly that morning. Today? TOTAL doll…kind of obnoxious really. I think he got it…

It is nice to find your kids currency…his is for sure Mickey Mouse Clubhouse at breakfast and Garfield when I put dinner together.

I just knew I was going to be that Mom that limits TV...not so much. But to be honest, I'm very thankful that he will watch a show while I get something done real quick. He learned his ABC's and sounds really quick from watching the leap frog video "Letter Factory". That started it all. I can also take him to a movie and he will sit through the entire thing! I love that because I love going to movies! His first movie was for his 2nd birthday. Ryan and I took him to see UP...recently we went to see how to train your dragon and he loved that one too!

Tata,
Carrie

3 comments:

  1. I'm cracking up thinking about Hagen stiffening up and you trying to "bend" him to get on the toilet. It's even funnier because I know exactly what you're talking about. Hudson does the same thing when I try to change his diaper. He flips the F- out!!!

    Mickey also allows me to get ready in the mornings, so no judgement from me!! We gotta do what we gotta do. Glad Hagen is back to his normal angelic self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TV and kids is a win, win at the Rand casa, too. I hear ya!
    We just went to see How to Train Your Dragon--loved it!! That's great that Hagen sits the whole time. Sometimes G doesn't!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We would be in serious trouble without movies for Maci. I am not looking forward to the 2's or 3's for that matter... she's already a hand full.

    I'm totally thinking back to potty training with T and his fits and him not wanting to "bend"!

    Good luck with "following through"... you may need to help me in the future with my 2nd and the real monster in our house :)

    ReplyDelete